CHICKEN AND ARTICHOKE STIR FRY
As seen on NBC Chicago
1 med Yellow Onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 cu Brown Rice (uncooked)
1 tbl Butter
1 tbl Worchestershire Sauce
2 Cu Water
1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into 1" pieces
2 Garlic Cloves, smashed and chopped
2 tsp Chicken Grilling Spice Mix*
1 tbl Olive Oil
1 lg Red Pepper, julienned
1/4 lb Medium Sized Mushrooms, halved
1 medium Jalapeño, thinly sliced
1 can Artichokes Hearts, 14oz size, drained and halved
1 Lemon, sliced into 8 wedges
1. Roughly chop 4 of the onion sections and sauté them in the butter in a medium pot over medium high heat for about 4 minutes. Add brown rice and Worchestershire sauce and stir to coat. Add water. Reduce heat to a very low simmer. Cover pot and cook for 40 minutes until rice is tender. Remove from heat and store rice in an airtight container until ready to use.
2. Place chicken pieces in a sealable bag. Add olive oil, garlic and grilling spice mix. Seal bag and shake ingredients vigorously to thoroughly coat the chicken. Remove as much air as possible from the bag and reseal. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for two hours to overnight.
3. Divide remaining ingredients among four individual plates. Divide rice into four separate serving bowls. Divide the marinated chicken into four small bowls (don’t put on the same plate as the vegetables). Give each guest a plate of vegetables, rice and chicken (these steps are for using a community grill like the Shinwa Grill…I have stirfry instructions, for preparing this dish in a wok, below).
4. For preparation, place the chicken pieces on the prepared grill with a little oil. Sear each side for 2 minutes. Add the red peppers and mushrooms and sauté for an additional minute. Add the jalapeños and artichokes and continue to sauté until all the ingredients are tender, about 10-12 minutes total. Squeeze lemon on all the ingredients and then transfer them to the individual serving bowls on top of the brown rice. Give your guests salt and pepper to season to taste.
5. If you aren't using a community grill like the Shinwa Grill, this dish can be stir fried in a wok. Heat the wok to a high temperature and add oil and the chicken. Follow the instructions above for the remainin ingredients and then serve the dish over brown rice as well.
* WAYNE’S POULTRY GRILLING SPICES MIX: LIL CHICK
3 1/2 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
3 1/2 tsp Lemon Pepper
1 1/2 tsp Celery Seed
2 1/2 tsp Basil
2 1/2 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Ground Mustard
1. Mix ingredients together and either grind in spice grinder or in a mortar and pestle. Store in an airtight container.
By Wayne Johnson, NBC Chicago
The Shinwa Traditional
Beef Skewer with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Mixed Mushrooms on Grilled Bread
Grilled Cumin Shrimp
SHARE YOUR RECIPES
Do you have a great recipe you'd like to share with us?
Submit it here!